Thursday, November 19, 2009

serious

I was reading in Acts this morning and came across something that made me think (like I do). In Acts 19, Paul's doing his visiting thing and he comes to the people of Ephesus. He asks them "did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They tell him they had never heard of the Holy Spirit and they only received the baptism of John. Paul explains to them that they needed to be baptized in the name of Jesus and they did and then Paul laid his hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit. My question is this, do we have to be baptized in the name of Jesus to receive the Holy Spirit? I know it's a sign of obedience and a proclamation of your life change, but is it a necessary part of being a powerful Christian as well? Also, Paul laid hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit, but we just get the Holy Spirit, right? We don't need someone to lay hands on us? Just wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment