Thursday, November 19, 2009

Relationships

Song of Solomon 1:4 ~> "...We rejoice and delight in you; we will praise your love more than wine."

These words are spoken by the friends of the two lovers in Song of Solomon. It is such a great testimony to what impact love or "love" can have on those around us. We are so selfish with our love, thinking it is just for us. How could, or better yet, WHY should, something so great be contained in just 2 people? Real, godly love can be an inspiration to those who are witness to it. Likewise, selfish, lustful "love" is a detriment to all who witness it. Here's a big news flash people: Your actions to not affect only you!! Let the truth of that statement sink in. Your actions do not affect only you. Who are you living for? How many times has "love" divided people, ruined friendships, severed ties with God, led to sin? Am I the only one who has seen a couple, either good or bad, and wanted some aspect of what they have? The couple in Song of Solomon are shown to be an example of a right romantic relationship. They inspire hope and uprightness in their friends, as evident in the repeated line: "Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you, do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." This is pleading, "do not hurry love, trust in God's timing, don't make something happen that either isn't supposed to happen or isn't supposed to happen yet." I want this kind of love. I don't want to be selfish with my love. I don't want to live for myself. I charge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment