Thursday, November 19, 2009

Letting Go

When do we, as Christians, let go? When do we give up? Ed spoke last Sunday about perseverance, so it's strange that this thought would arise now. But, in light of a passage in Titus I read, I have to wonder: when do we let people go? Chapter 3 verses 10-11 says "Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." Strong words. "Have nothing to do with him"? We all know those people who create friction and drama and seem to always be causing a rift between people. Are some of us too quick to give up on those people? Are some of us too resistant to giving up on them? How do you know when (if ever) to let someone or something go? The easy answer is: God tells you. But it's hard to hear sometimes; or perhaps we don't want to hear. Is it really 2 strikes, you're out? Sometimes, I confess, I want to give as few opportunities as possible to be hurt (though I'm sure I don't live as though others only allow me one strike). I can sometimes hold a pretty hard line and see things as very black and white. It's hard for me to see someone continually messing up and not really face much by way of consequences, when I feel like I'm living pretty good. It makes me want to not press on. In all honesty, it makes me want to go somewhere where nobody knows I'm a Christian and do whatever I please. I mean, it works for everyone else, right? O, that God would give me wisdom and mercy and perseverance!
Anyways, just some current ramblings and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment